Last week I promised to share the results of the Christmas decorating I was doing at Coastal Church. Decorating for Christmas always gets me excited for the festive season. I love it all: the lights, the trees, the snowy walks, hot apple cider, singing carols. So fun.
As I mentioned, this year we are pulling on the richness of the traditional Red, Gold and Green colours of Christmas, but wanted to have a modern up to date approach to the design.
The garlands were over stuffed with Sinamay – the red and gold netting in the garland. A decorators ulitimate friend!! If you have never used this stuff – you should! Don’t be afraid to try it, it’s easy to use and gives amazing results without that much fussing. FYI – If you haven’t noticed by now, I don’t like designs that require a lot of fussing to make them look good! I’m all about high impact with quick and simple ideas!
Here’s a quick run down of how easy Sinamay is to use:
- Starting on one end of your garland (or fake tree) take the and of the roll of Sinamay and bunch it together.
- Grab an unsuspecting branch and wrap it around the end of the Sinamay.
- Gather the Sinamay about 10 inches from the last branch, and grab another branch tucking the Sinamay under the branch.
- Now fluff out the “bow” in between you have just created.
- Continue winding the netting all through your tree and garland, fluffing out the netting to create a full extravagant garland.
The ornaments for the garlands were all old ornaments that had been slated for the rubbish pile as all the little tops had come off.
Well, that didn’t preclude them from having a part to play in the design. I whipped out the glue gun, cut a few pieces (ok more than a few) of floral wire and glue gunned some wire around their tops – good as new! Plus I didn’t have to buy any more decorations! Re-using at it’s best!
Overall the sanctuary has a simple fresh take on Red, Gold and Green this Christmas.
I would love to hear about your decorating ideas this Christmas. Are you using every piece of garland to deck the halls? Or are you taking a more modern less is more approach to the holiday decorating this year? As for our own house decorations…they have yet to be tackled due to the busyness of all that is going on!
Enjoy this season friends, and in amongst all the busyness of decorating and gifting let’s remember Jesus is the reason for this awesome time of year!